"Coming from one of Canada's most established theatrical families, I have lived, worked, and breathed the business from page to stage."|
Laurence Follows began his career as an actor, working in professional theatre, film and TV. Coming from a family of highly accomplished actors, and being passionate about acting, he wanted to get the best possible education in the theatrical arts. He auditioned for the National Theatre School in Canada and the Juilliard in the United States and he was accepted into both schools.
Laurence decided to pursue studies at the Juilliard School, Drama Division in New York under the direction of Michael Langham and upon graduation joined the Juilliard Professional Company. From there he embarked on a career as a director, actor and producer. Laurence established one of the most successful commercial theatre companies in Canada, Follows-Latimer Productions, which was responsible for opening The New Yorker Theatre (now The Panasonic Theatre). He is a teacher at the University of Toronto and Sheridan College.
Laurence is also an accomplished life/acting coach and communications program leader. Areas of expertise include conducting workshops and leading personal training and development courses for actors, professionals, students and individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and professions. He is known for causing outstanding breakthrough results. His work provides access to new levels of self-expression and creativity, unleashing an individual's natural enthusiasm and confidence.
MY PURPOSE: A world of full self-expression, each and every person coming into life, playing fully, and giving it all they got. LIVE YOUR PLAY!
Highlights of Laurence's professional experience include:
• Launching the Canadian premiere of Forever Plaid, which went on to receive three Dora Awards including Outstanding Musical Production. The show became the longest running mid-size musical in Toronto history
• Presenting the world-renowned production of STOMP in Vancouver and Toronto
• Actor highlights include Hamlet, (title role) Lincoln centre, New York, New York
• Directing and producing Closer Than Ever, which also won the Dora Award for Outstanding Musical Production and which went on to productions in Vancouver, Victoria as well as a National Tour
• Producing I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change and Forever Tango at the Elgin Theatre
• Directing Into The Eye Of The Candle at Tarragon Theatre
• Directing and producing the new Canadian play The Originals at the Gravenhurst Opera House, Canada's premiere summer theatre
• Fulfilling a life-long dream, directed, produced and acted with his entire family in Hay Fever
• Conducting "On The Presence Of Acting" a transformational workshop for actors